Thursday, October 7, 2010

Facebook: The modern journal

One time, when I was probably ten or so, I saw a TV special about a man who documented every second of his life on paper. He had rooms FULL of boxes that contained stacks of all of the manuscripts of his life. Every single moment he lived, this eccentric man sat at a little desk and penned freehand. I still can't figure out what could have been so interesting about him. I mean, did he write about himself writing all of the time? But I do remember as a child thinking "Well, maybe some day it would be kind of cool to be able to look back and read things that happened to me a long time ago." The memory of this man never left me, and I would spend the rest of my childhood and adolescence attempting to write about all of the extremely interesting things that were happening in my life. :)

Turns out I was a horrible journal keeper. I tried, oh believe me, I tried to sit down and write my deepest darkest secrets and thoughts on paper. My longest attempt may have lasted a week or so! I don't know what it is, I just cannot for the life of me commit to keeping a journal. The ONLY time I have ever been successful at such a daunting feat it was done by accident.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...the facebook revolution. I have had a facebook account for about five years now. (Seems strange!) I joined back when facebook was in it's baby stages and it was only open to college students to network amongst each other. Everyone complained when they changed the format, but I have to say, I'm happy it's open to everyone now! But, I digress. The point is, I have five years worth of comments and status updates that I can shuffle through any time I want to take a walk down memory lane.

This evening I made it all the way back to the Fall of 2007 before I just couldn't take it anymore, haha. Oh, the grammar! Oh the drama! Did I really say that? And that was just the me three years ago. Boy am I glad that facebook didn't exist when I was in junior high! Even though I cringe at some of the ridiculous things I said or did, there have been some really special memories captured along the way. Memories that I would have completely forgotten about had they not been written down and saved in cyberspace.

I have to say that my life seemed to get vastly more interesting after marriage, haha. Some of my status updates make me say, "Aww...." Some make me laugh out loud. Others just confused me. :) But I thought, for your reading pleasure, that I would pull out a few of my favorites from over the past couple of years. If you've been one of my friends for very long, you may remember some of these!

Our wedding shower July 26, 2008

A journey back to 2008...some thoughts on my upcoming marriage:

Adrien Feldt...

...can't wait to wear her new ring :)
September 7, 2008 at 11:35 pm

...is getting butterflies
September 10, 2008 at 6:07 pm

...is getting married today!
September 13, 2008 at 10:57 am

Present day analysis: Aww, I'm so glad to have these thoughts to remember! But what the heck was I doing on facebook on my wedding day?? Haha.

December 24, 2009

I must've taken a temporary facebook hiatus for a while (possibly due to morning sickness!) because after the honeymoon I didn't update until the day we shared our baby news with the world. Eric did the honors through a "note," and here are some statuses following that:

Adrien Robert...

...is thankful for Eric and a wonderful doctor's visit yesterday!
November 27, 2008 at 9:45 am

...cannot fit into any of her pants. Hehe....
December 4, 2008 at 6:44 pm

....can't wait to find out if we're having a boy or a girl tomorrow!
December 30, 2008 at 1:21 pm

It's an Evelyn!
January 12, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Present day analysis: Was I really giggly about not fitting into my pants? Take me back to that attitude, please, haha. And we must've not found out the gender of our first baby until later than expected!

At the Stifel baby shower, May 26, 2009

Here are a few statuses towards the very end of my pregnancy:

Dear Evelyn, please come out soon. I'm bored, and your wiggly arms and legs are keeping me up at night. :) Two weeks.
May 20, 2009 at 8:40 am

What do you do at 3:30 am when your stomach is hard as a rock and you can't sleep? I eat waffles.
June 11, 2009 at 3:28 am

Off to dinner and the hospital!
June 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Present day analysis: I wish I could go back and tell myself just how much my life was going to change!

August 16, 2009

And some first time mama updates:

If Evelyn breathes funny I freak out. I'm not going to be one of THOSE moms am I?
June 23, 2009 at 10:16 am

Evelyn is a trickster! Crying hysterically until we make a move for her...then flashing a grin when she sees us coming.
August 4, 2009 at 11:10 am

I really hope Evelyn is going through a phase, otherwise I have a high maintenance, strong-willed pre-teen daughter masquerading as a seven month old.
January 31, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Present day analysis: Evie is still a trickster, and sometimes I still freak out. Haha. And...she must be going through a fairly long phase. Just kidding, she's just a ham!

Oh goodness, there are so many more random updates that had me laughing so hard I thought I was going to send myself into labor. I could go on and on! I'll just share one that gave me the serious case of the giggles, and I have no idea why. Maybe because it's just so darn late!

Found a fork in the washing machine...? Shiniest fork I've ever seen!
September 30, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Seriously, why is that so funny? I'm still laughing. :D I need sleep! So if you've never done it, I highly recommend scrolling through some of your old facebook statuses to relive some precious memories. It's definitely entertaining if you have some time on your hands. And all of my fellow bloggers out there are welcome to steal this idea and share some of your favorite or special statuses on your blogs. I'd love to read them! Praise the Lord for facebook is all I have to say. This non-journaling mom would be totally lost without it!

1 comment:

Olivia said...

i just did this! got all the way to spring of 08. sooooooo weird!!!

LinkWithin