Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Down & Up

Hi, friends!
Can I just say, getting my three small children off to bed on my own is like some kind of cruel parenting punishment.
But I did it! Ah, the quiet....

So where was I? Oh yes, Friday. Last Friday was the quite the day in our family, and I could probably write an entire post just on that, but I won't. I actually wasn't able to blog here on that day, because Eric was asked to speak at his Uncle Bob's funeral on Saturday and to prepare a slideshow in his memory, so our computer was being used for other things. We knew that we would be preparing to honor and say goodbye to one great uncle this weekend, but I wasn't quite prepared for the news of another great uncle's failing health.

My uncle Charlie, whom I've blogged about before, was like a grandpa to me when I was growing up, and I received word that his kidneys were failing and it would only be a matter of time before we wouldn't get to see him anymore. So before we spent part of our evening at the wake of Uncle Bob, we made a visit to the hospital to sit at the side of Uncle Charlie. What a day.

To make a very long story as short as possible, while we were at the hospital it was decided that Eric should make a call to uncle Charlie's doctor, because something just wasn't sitting right with the rest of the family...let's just say a few things weren't adding up in his diagnosis. My aunt Brenda (Charlie's wife) couldn't seem to get any answers, so she handed the phone to Eric hoping that he could give it a shot. And wouldn't you know...with a man's voice on the line somebody finally paid attention. Immediately it was decided to transfer Charlie to a new hospital where it was discovered that he was severely dehydrated and wasn't receiving proper care where he was before. All I have to say is...thank GOD for that phone call! Charlie is doing much better under the care of the new hospital staff, and we are so thankful that there really are medical personnel out there who truly value life no matter who or how old their patients are. In the end, what was a very sad part of our weekend turned into a positive, and I am very grateful for that!

On Saturday we attended Uncle Bob's funeral, which was beautiful. It really was. It was by far the longest funeral I have ever been to, and only because there were so many people that wanted to share stories and honor Bob. It is amazing how one person can affect so many others - even one of our state Senators was a pallbearer. He was quite a guy, and we will miss him quite a lot. 

After a very emotional 24 hours, we needed a little pick-me-up, and boy did we get one! Couldn't have asked for anything more. The weather was actually nice enough for our family to get out on our very first walk of 2013 - wahoo!! :) Many of you know how important this ritual is to our family, and we soaked up every single minute of it. What made it even more special was that it was Reagan's very first time joining us - on the outside, that is.

Officially a two stroller family. We're like a mini-parade now. And if you follow behind us, you might find some dropped candy on the ground, too! ;)

Did Reagan enjoy himself? Why, I believe he did! All of the kids were completely zonked about ten minutes in, haha. But it was a very successful trip, and little Reagy baby is settling into his position in the Robert family quite nicely, I'd say.

On Sunday we continued the good times by celebrating my brother Roger's 22nd birthday. It doesn't matter how old you are in this family - there will be cake, and there will be a family gathering. :)

And since the whole gang was there, it was decided that we would try to get a family picture done for the Feldt family to submit for our church's new directory.

Oh my gosh.

I laugh.

John was NOT interested in having his picture taken and refused to stand where we told him to. And well...I'll just let you see. This is my family - I gotta love em! :)

I can't wait to see which one they choose to submit. :)

So yes, sorry for the obscenely long post that took two days to write, but it was kind of an obscenely long weekend, and I even left parts out! Eric says "Hello" from Denver:

And we're surviving. I've got all my life to live, I've got all my love to give, and I'll survive. I will survive. Hey hey. :)

Happy Tuesday!


Heather Rahn said...

Dang girl. I'm exhausted just reading that. I'm glad your uncle is doing better.

sblind2 said...

those family pictures are the BEST ... John will love them i'm sure at HS graduation =)


Related Posts with Thumbnails